How To Write A Thesis Statement For A Compare And Contrast Essay: Tips And Examples
Choose two related but distinct topics to write about
When writing a compare and contrast essay, it is good idea to try and think of two things that are quite closely related yet distinct enough for you to write about any major differences. As a very general example, you could think about the similarities and differences between apples and oranges. The main similarity is that they are both fruits, yet the taste, texture, and appearance are both very different.
By applying this way thinking, it should help to come up with two good topics to write about in your compare and contrast thesis. Of course, you are unlikely to want to write about apples and oranges, but this is just to give you an idea of how to think of to useful topics that can be the basis of your compare and contrast paper.
Identify any similarities as part of your preparation
Before you start writing the work, it is a good idea to make a list of any similarities that you may wish to point out. Simply spend a short amount of time simply jotting down a list of anything that comes to mind. Once you have your list, you can then start to expand many of the main points you want to bring up, as well as discarding any that you don’t think will be good enough to write about.
Research any differences that can be written about
Once you have your similarities written down, you may then wish to make a separate list referring to any differences. Essentially, creative list in much the same way as you did to the similarities, before also expanding or discarding any ideas
A few examples that are suitable for a compare and contrast essay
- Compare and contrast modern and classical music
- Compare and contrast the attitude to alcohol in France and the United States
- Compare and contrast the healthiness of food in Japan and the United States
- Compare and contrast the attitudes towards disabled people and the elderly
- Compare and contrast blue collar and white collar crime
- Compare and contrast the space programmes of Russia and the United States over the past half a century
- Compare and contrast the crime levels in states that have the death penalty and those that do not
- Compare and contrast the successes and failures of Barack Obama’s term as president with that of George W. Bush
- Compare and contrast Monarchies with Republics
- Compare and contrast Christianity and Islam